By Alison Holcomb, New Approach Washington
The newly formed political action committee New Approach Washington will hold a press conference to announce the filing of an initiative to legalize, tax, and regulate marijuana. The press conference will be held on Wednesday, June 22 at 11:00 AM in the Seattle Public Library, in the Howard S. Wright and Janet W. Ketchum Room (Room 2 on the 4th floor).
The initiative will authorize the Liquor Control Board to regulate the production and distribution of marijuana for sale to adults 21 and over in state-licensed stores.
The initiative is sponsored by individuals prominent in civic life and in public health and legal communities:
• Seattle City Attorney Pete Holmes
• John McKay, former U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Washington (2001-2007)
• Travel writer Rick Steves
• Rep. Mary Lou Dickerson, Washington state legislator, 36th District, prime sponsor of HB 2401 (2010) and HB 1550 (2011)
• Kim Marie Thorburn, MD, MPH, former director of the Spokane Regional Health District (1997-2006)
• Salvador A. Mungia, immediate past president of the Washington State Bar Association
• Mark Johnson, past president of the Washington State Bar Association (2008-2009)
• Robert W. Wood, MD, former director of the HIV/AIDS Program of Public Health – Seattle & King County (1986-2010)